Edmonton Artist | Laurel Hawkswell | edmonton.art@gmail.com | @hilaurel


[to email Laurel DOUBLE-CLICK here>>> EMAIL_Laurel ]
OR
See Edmonton Artist Laurel on: Facebook or Twitter or Instagram

Here is a side-by-side comparison of a 'studio' caricature and a 'live' caricature

Here is a side-by-side comparison of a 'studio' caricature and a 'live' caricature. Studio caricatures are digital drawings with colour while the live event caricatures are on on paper with a Sharpie.

When drawing 'live' at an event, a caricaturist has to capture the person in a short amount of time. These events are most often at busy so, keeping their attention and capturing their smile is a challenge.  I meet a lot of people and hear some great stories.  I just wish I could get a picture of all my drawings but, there is  a line of people waiting.  I don't forget too many faces because I look at the details.  Some people get a little uncomfortable with the intensity that I need to study them.  In the end, I always love to see their reaction when I show them what I have drawn - they smile or laugh.  Drawing is a great way to meet people and make them happy.

In the studio there's more time to 'get it'! So, I like to get a good picture (I can only draw what I see) a closeup photo with their 'real' smile is best.  Often I like to draw a caricature before an event to warm up my hand and get into the grove.

I like both ways and I can tell the two slightly different styles of mine even though I don't know if I can put into words how I can tell. But, if you were to show me an older drawing of mine, I could probably guess correctly. Of course a coloured caricature definitely takes more time.

side-by-side comparison of a 'studio' caricature and a 'live' caricature

If, you'd like me to draw for you or at an event DOUBLE-CLICK here>>> EMAIL_Laurel

Caricatures by Edmonton Artist Laurel Hawkswell